I’m going to be straight up… I’m linking to the WDWMagic article on this, but I am not discussion their article specifically. (Though do check it out.) It’s only one of many places where this discussion is happening and it’s all being driven by a survey question.
This is not driven by a press release or anything like that. I think that is important to note.
To quote from this article, which is in line with the screen shot I saw…
According to a recent Walt Disney World survey that has been sent out to previous guests, Disney is considering adding a nightly resort fee to its hotels.
The survey mentions a $15 per night resort fee that would include Disney’s Magical Express, MagicBands, FastPass+, Resort entertainment, WiFi, Extra Magic Hours, and parking at the resort and parks.
With all the different things going on at Disney when it comes to costs, and the different articles about cutbacks and like like, die-hard Disney fans and guests alike are rather sensitive about their vacation dollars – and how far they would go. To throw something like this has caused a stir since no one likes the idea of 1)paying more for what you currently get and 2)having any sort of fee tacked on even if the base price is lower.
To be honest, I have stayed at hotels where they charge a resort fee or even a fee for simple things such as WiFi. Now, I see WiFi as being something of a utility these days such as water or electricity. You want to know what you are going to get for a resort fee. In other places it may include parking, access to certain amenities, or some other feature of the resort. The thing is, much like airlines charging luggage fees, the fact is that you may pay less for the room, but you will need the add on cost if you want to do anything else. The thing is – I think many vacationers tend to stay away from those places unless they really like the place. I know its a reason why I stopped staying at some hotels around Disney, even if it was only for a single night.
But I don’t like this. And I am not trying to add to the chaos, I don’t like the idea of adding fees for things that we all expect to be included now. That would be a step back if you ask me. But if you break it down, using the list from the article above, assuming a 7 night stay and an additional $105 added to your bill.
- Magical Express. Just that would still would be better than renting a car for a week.
- FastPass+. I know that some people still dislike this system, but it seems to work well for us. The time savings alone would be worth a chunk of that fee.
- Resort Entertainment. Not super sure what they are referring to here outside of using the pool and the like. But you are not going to go to a resort and not use the pool.
- WiFi. If they keep it free in the parks, that’s fine for me. 4G signals tend to work better in many places on property for me anyway.
- EMH. This would be a biggie for me. Its well worth it for that extra time in the parks, especially the nighttime hours.
- Parking. Well, This is a mixed bag. We tend to drive more, so we need to park at the hotel. We tend to not park at the parks, but do so every once in a while. Even if you did have to pay this, $15 is better than the current daily price.
So, while I do not like fees one bit, you can easily see where the idea of “no such thing as a free lunch” comes to mind. We currently get a lot of features when staying on site. If they actually lowered prices with the idea that some might want to add on, it’s really a wash. If prices go up or even stay the same and they do this… then it is what it is – a fee.
Overall, while I know I’m commenting on this topic, I also have to keep in mind that this is nothing official. My comments are based upon speculation. Normally I don’t like to do that since it we never know what Disney is going to do until they actually do it. In essence, it would be best to wait and see what might come of this. It may turn out to be nothing.
What do you think? I would love to hear your thoughts. Please feel free to share this with others as well.